Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Make Your Own Richard Gere Joke


But now that I think about it, I'd probably have to explain that reference to anybody under the age of 45, so what's the point really ?




Glue (1997)

The Gerbils were one of the bands that appeared on the Elephant 6 recording co. roster in approximately the middle part of the 90's.  Scott Spillane, John D'Azzo and Will Westbrook were the band with Spillane also doing duty in Neutral Milk Hotel.

Looking this shit up on a Neutral Milk Hotel gigography, I see that I saw them perform on the 24th of April in the year 1998 opening up the night at the 400 Bar in Minneapolis to be followed by Elf Power and the fucking be all of Neutral Milk Hotel shows that I witnessed for an "In an Aeroplane Over the Sea" tour.

 I'd even forgotten that Elf Power played. NMH were just so amazing that particular night.

But the Gerbils were good enough as I remember that I got these two singles at some point. (Maybe at least one that night. I know that I got my NMH t-shirt that night)




Granted at that point, NMH weren't quite at the same level of revered as they became after Jeff Mangum dropped out of sight for a long while. The they were just another Elephant 6 band with a new and really good record that none of the hip kids wanted to hear about because they were too cool for that shit.
Elf Power had a couple more albums to their name but the Gerbils were the new kids with only a handful of singles. I suppose that's why they opened. 

So here they are. It was really quite nice to listen to these again. It's the magic of the Tascam Porta-One distilled and dispensed at 45 revolutions per minute.

1 comment: