Friday, September 1, 2017

Band names again


Hire High School Girls (1979)

Not a lot to be found about this Nu Wave/Ska-ish band from (presumably) Rutherford, NJ assuming that the production company on the stamp is somebody's mom's house.

I had posted this to a previous incarnation of the Swinging Singles Club and gotten a very nice comment from a member of the band with some history, but I've long since forgotten the details.

But this shit's tight and catchy with just the faintest whiff of a weirdness from influences that aren't so obvious.

I dunno. I'm still kinda groggy.





Are You Here (1980)





The Nu Wave/Ska-ishness continues with some dub styling touches and lots of echoey bits on the a-side.

B-side is more of the same being applied to the bloated and overdone corpse of the Beatles that has inspired a cult that persists to this day. Perhaps you are a member. (I'm not and I don't need converting. I've heard it all. I'm still not that impressed.)

I don't listen to that side.

No comments:

Post a Comment