Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Brutal Firsts


This.




I've had this box set for decades. I've had it so long and it's been sitting in my record shelves for such a length of time that it barely registers on my any more that it even exists. It's just one of those dust magnets. It's there.

 I've also only listened to all three Lps in one sitting precisely once in all these years.
That was when I digitized it.

To be fair (or Jad Fair if I wanted to make a pun), I hadn't actually pulled it out in a long long time. I was kind of traumatized by it when I first got it because I had no idea what to make of it. It was noisy and almost non-musical and sounded for all the world like adults making music like they were six year olds which is, I guess, kind of the point but didn't quite click with my youthful brain at the time. All these years later, and a bunch of other records later and life and what not, it still sounds like that but I find that it makes more sense and that for the most part I kind of like it. It's certainly the most primitive album that Jad and David Fair made under the Half Japanese moniker.

Still not likely to be the first Half Japanese record I'm going to pull off the shelf at any given moment, but I'm not going to curl up in a corner.

If you're the type to actually go out and purchase things and not a filthy leech then you should also know that Fire Records has done a bang up job with reissuing pretty much everything and you can have it for your very own to stroke lovingly in your very own home.

No comments:

Post a Comment