Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Way Too Many Records

So I'm going through the boxes of seven inches and I get up to Guided by Voices.
There's a metric shit ton of singles and records there. I believe that Robert Pollard is the kind of guy who doesn't believe in outtakes or demos for the most part and he releases virtually anything he records.
There are also legions of folks who will lap up every bit and lick the plate.

I'm not quite there, but close enough. He lost me towards the turn of the century when I was poorer and found that I couldn't quite keep up with his prolific catalog of releases to the point that I kind of gave up and moved on.

It was kind of a sad day.


Chunk Split w/ New Radiant Storm King (1995)

So rather than flood this thing for a month and a half with GBV singles, I'm just going to throw you all a bone with some oddities.Nothing impossibly rare and unobtainable, but something less likely to be heard.

I think I picked this one up at a show in the Mainroom at First Avenue for the "Under the Bushes, Under the Stars" tour which was the last hurrah for the "classic" lineup.

Holy shit, was that a good show.

Anyway, it's a split with each band playing a song by the other band.
Enjoy.



Split w/Cobra Verde (1997)

After Pollard disbanded the "classic" lineup he snagged Cleveland's Cobra Verde to be Guided by Voices for a little while. It was a big change from previous versions of GBV and one that didn't really click for me. I would have picked this up at another Mainroom, First Avenue show in 1997.

I wasn't too impressed with this version of the band live. Kind of a lackluster show for me and "Mag Earwhig!" just wasn't doing it for me at the time.

I have since come around with a reassessment of the Lp. It's pretty fucking great.

About all I remember about Cobra Verde's opening set before Bob came on and they became GBV was that they had the same theremin I do.

And that is, as they say, that.

No comments:

Post a Comment