Wednesday, November 5, 2014

DIY 90's Style

I have the vaguest recollection of buying these singles. It would have been somewhere towards the end of the 90's based on who I think I was dating at the time. I'm also pretty sure that I got them from the band themselves after they opened for somebody at the Uptown Bar & Grill (R.I.P.) in Minneapolis. I don't remember who they opened for. I have that problem a lot more lately.







So what is it that we have here then that compelled me to part with my meager earnings to obtain copies of these seven inches from a touring band from Ann Arbor, MI?

Certainly not the graphic design. Metallic printing on dark paper is fucking really difficult to read. (Seriously, these crap level scans are actually easier to look at than the real thing which look more like they're stained than printed.)

  I would usually would try and buy merch from touring bands if I liked them knowing that my ten bucks was some gas or breakfast for somebody. I must have liked their performance well enough that I spent my cash on these rather than their tour mates. Let that be your guide.

The music itself is prime example of the state homemade recordings from the time. This is 90's American DIY recording. Lo-fi & warts and all. Raw recordings with hiss and minimal tracking to preserve what little fidelity you can muster on the shitty little machine. Passion always is more important in a take than things like tuning or being on key or fidelity. The name Down is fitting. These are not happy little pop songs. Fuzz, static and cheap mics. I love shit like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment