Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Charlie Dold

A few pretty early releases for the Bus Stop label.



These sound like home 4-track recordings so at 1991 they'd be really early to that party which wouldn't really start being a thing for at least a couple more years, if my powers of recall are anything. I don't even think the concept of Lo-fi even existed. But then I wouldn't reall consider these to be Lo-fi. Maybe Mid-fi.




I'm not totally sure how I feel about Charlie Dold. I like the songs for the most part, but his voice isn't really my cup of tea/poison. It seems like he's trying just a bit too hard and pushing his voice into a range and keys that don't quite suit it. But he sounds like he means it. I don't doubt that he was a copy shop dude.



I think the title track here is one of those love songs that likely didn't get him laid. It's a bit much. But the other two tracks settle in for some good times. He's learned to work the 4-track better. We're on the right track.



An actual band at last.  Earnest Midwest pop rocking.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment