Monday, October 30, 2017

The early 90's and some Cd's for a change



It's my contention that there is and has been some quality music that occurs/occurred in the Twin Cities even when nobody is paying the slightest bit of attention. Not even the people who actually live here.

So I moved out here. "Grunge" is the new big thing. I have a roommate who plays fucking "Bleach" three and four times a day.
Loudly.
Just kept flipping the thing over and over and his friend would come over and they'd play it a few more times.
I loathed that Lp.

My head was elsewhere.

The Hang Ups were the first local band that I gravitated towards.


Comin' Through (1993)


I heard a song on the local college radio. They had a short demo cassette (which I should still have somewhere if I apply myself to looking). They ended up being friends of friends and I saw an early show in somebody's living room at a party. The songs were simple catchy wistful songs about girls with some really tasteful guitar filling going on.

It hit all the right buttons for me at the time.
Still does.



Top of Morning (1995)

The A side here was on that demo and was one of the songs that first caught my ear.

When I was doing the digitizing and got up to the Hang-Ups I was intending to just put this one up and kind of leave it at that, but when I played it everything kind of flooded back and I remembered why I like this so much in the first place. It was at that point that I figured that I may as well just put up everything I had. It needs to be heard by more people.

It really does.

So if catchy strummy pop songs with harmony vocals are your thing, then buckle in.
There's a few of these ahead of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment