Monday, September 17, 2018

I Just Don't Know


I'm running out of juice, but wanted to squeeze this one in anyway.

I could use some inspiration.

If only there was someone who could inspire me daily....






In the Dark (1978)

A long time ago in a galaxy called Hollywood there lived a weirdo by the name of Kim Fowley who made strange records and who put together a girl group called the Runaways which gave the world our introduction to both Joan Jett & Lita Ford.

When the Runaways had had enough of his weirdo shit he went on to put together another group called Venus & the Razorblades to cash in on the whole punk rock fad.

That group was fronted by one Dyan Diamond who was all of 14 at the time she auditioned and won the lead vocal spot for Fowley. (and is pretty creepy given some of the sexual harrassment claims that came out about Fowley later on...)

After that short lived group called it a day, Fowley produced this record for the then 16 year old Dyan Diamond. If a middle aged man producing a bluesy "punk" record for a 16 year old girl with lots of rock and roll cliches and some too much harmonica is your cup of lukewarm poison, have I got a record for you!

I personally don't know what to make of it. I mean, I want to kind of like it on principle, but the record itself makes that hard. Shitty covers of "Baby What You Want Me to Do" by Jimmy Reed & a truly terrible pass at Elvis Costello's "Mystery Dance" don't help matters. She can sing, but the material isn't doing anybody any favors except the studio guys who are getting their paycheck out of it.

But I mean, I own the record. I've listened to it more than once. It's just not that often that happens.

Meanwhile, I haven't been able to confirm it anywhere, but it's not unpossible that your daily source of inspiration and life coaching books could come from Dyan Diamond herself.

One can only hope..

2 comments:

  1. Back in the 80's I had my trusty trouser press tucked under my arm...scarrowing through the bins looking for a lot of this stuff. Once in a while I would find something...but not very often. Now some 30 odd years later..here you are. THANK YOU FOR THIS BLOG,YOUR TIME,EFFORT,WORK AND MONEY. You made this 60 year old man very happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy. There's always more stuff to find and listen to. It's a wonderful thing.

      Delete