Thursday, December 13, 2018

This should tide you over


I  have to go to grocery store so I have something to cook to bring for lunch at work for this week.
Content yourselves with this brief compilation until I get back.



I Hear the Devil Calling Me (1991)

With this mere seven inches of black vinyl Drag City introduced a larger swath of the American listening audience to the lo-fi goodness that was the New Zealand label Xpressway.

Twelve songs by twelve artists. All around a minute in length.

This was a big fucking deal at the time. Still is as good a time capsule of that moment, that scene, as you're going to get at this juncture and from this distance. We ate it up. We used it as a guide to what we needed to listen to next. We followed things to their logical or sometimes not logical conclusion.

You do the same. It's good for you.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great one. I still have a vinyl copy of the 7". A good way to get a first exposure to what Xpressway was doing at that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. There are some compilations that are just tailor made to be a road map to what you're going to seek out next.
      I sought out as many releases by these artists as I could find.

      Delete