Friday, May 1, 2015

Post #50

I  suppose since I'm halfway to 100 I may as well pretend I'm doing something special. So here are two entirely unrelated things that I just happen to like very much. (edit: though it should also be noted that I put this post in the queue quite a while ago and kind of messed up the order of things, so it's really #51


 

The very first single by the Jesus and Mary Chain. Granted they only wrote two songs at this point. The loud faster one with all the feedback and a slow one with less feedback, but I still like this single a whole fucking hell of a lot. "Upside Down" is the former song and just an all around great pop number. The B-side is a cover of one of the unreleased Syd Barrett Pink Floyd songs that is kind of cool up to the point where they don't know when to stop the song already and it kind of drones on for much longer than it really needs to. But I'll take it over a cup of lukewarm coffee any day of the week.




Black Tambourine (1992)


I've had this single for fucking ever. "Throw Aggi Off the Bridge" was the lead off track on several cassette compilations made for women over the years. (which should give you an idea of how long I've had it. I was making cassettes and dating...)

I like this record. A lot. Apparently, or at least according to Wikipedia, this band has been influential over the years. I'm not sure I could name five people I know who've heard of them and I know a lot of record geeks, so I'll take that assertion with a large grain of salt. Either way, this is a corker and there are other singles that I've never found and a complete recordings Cd that can be had. The third song on this one is cover of "Can't Explain" by Love. They do it right and end it appropriately. It's a keeper.

So I guess that both singles end with covers. Ok, it's a marginal relationship, but it ties the whole post together like the Big Lewbowski's rug.


No comments:

Post a Comment