Sunday, October 5, 2014

I Should Be Studying


I've got a big important and expensive licensing test coming up this week and I really ought to be studying. But I'm taking a break instead. I'm having a hard time staying in student mode the further from school I get. I'd rather be dicking around with music. So here I am. Sitting in this coffee shop taking a break from my  practice test and writing another silly entry in this little waste of time I like to call the Swinging Singles Club.
So instead of being a responsible adult I present for your delectation the two compilation seven inches released on Boston's Propeller Records in 1981 and 1982 respectively. The label itself started out as a loosely run collective in which the various bands on it to put out their music. It apparently worked pretty well for a little while before the usual gripes about money, ego and who got to release what effectively killed it off. I got a little of the story from the bass player of CCCP-TV who I briefly was in a failed band with in the mid-80's. That's sad, but the fact that the label folded before they released "The Law" by Art Yard (b/w "60 Cycle Hum") on vinyl makes it a little bit sadder. Then to add insult to injury all the Propeller masters seem to have been lost in a house fire towards the end of the decade. So little vinyl slabs are all that remain.

Oh well. Here's your opportunity to enjoy the Neats finest moment with "Six" as well as the wonderful "Babble" by 21-645 and the first appearance of Christmas (who would later morph into Combustible Edison) when they were a bassless trio. A nice cross section of the state of the artier end of new wave spectrum as it manifested in Allston, MA.

No comments:

Post a Comment