Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Same Song Twice Redux


Doing up records that I won't be posting while I type.
Less discriminating copies of good stuff, but a bit too hacked up and a mish mosh of stereo and mono and skips.
You understand.

But it did at least finally inspire me to get some actual restoration software, so things might be less shit sounding in the future (like in a year maybe when the posts catch up to the digitizing I'm doing now)

So there's that too.

Here's some Lyres singles.



How Do You Know (1979)

The very first thing that Jeff Connolly put out with his post- DMZ band the Lyres.
It's the young sound of 70's kids emulating the sounds of 60's kids that would morph into the so-called Paisley Underground that ran through the 80's.


Connolly was an avid collector 60s Garage/Punk records before it was even a thing.
My singular interaction with him was a brief chat at the In Your Ear records in the middle of the 80s when I was trying to snag a few of my own with my limited budget. When he asked me what the best record was that I had he was impressed that I'd gotten a copy of the Shames "My World is Upside Down" for a mere fifty cents from a record store that should have known better.

This particular record didn't get a reissue until 2007 because as a collector of rare records he'd always wanted to have one of his own. Both sides of this one are original compositions.



How Do You Know (1987)

Eight years and a lifetime later the Lyres rerecorded "How Do You Know" with the then current lineup.

Compare and contrast at your leisure.

It's backed this time by a version of "Stacey" originally recorded in 1966 by the Hangmen of Fairfield County which is a corker of a tune.

The  lyrics of which go :

To heck with pot and LSD too
I’d rather take a trip with you - Stacey

Goodbye to shots of white cocaine
You have put them all to shame - Stacey

I’ve sniffed glue right from a bag
Compared to you it’s really a drag - Stacey

Stacey - You’re quite a child
Stacey - You drive me wild

Lovin’ you is really in
You’re better than Coke with aspirin - Stacey

I’ve heard of the high from Dexedrine
But you’ve got a kick like a 20-mule team - Stacey

I don’t need tea or the poppyseed
Cause with you I can do the good deed - Stacey

Stacey - You’re quite a child
Stacey - You drive me wild

Some go far on magic mushrooms
But with you I’m first to the moon - Stacey

Trading your love for a million bennies
Is like selling New York for a few pennies - Stacey

People go nuts from taking goofballs
But after you I’m climbing the walls - Stacey

Stacey - I shoulda had warning
Stacey - You’re habit forming

(shamelessly copied and pasted from the always enlightening Basement Walls blog. )


And as an added bonus because I'm feeling like it



I Really Want You Right Now (1983)

The Lyres first single for Ace of Hearts.

"Help You Ann" is the winner here without a doubt and the song I first remember hearing once I'd discovered local college radio. It sounds like my high school bedroom on an already old them stereo receiver with a cassette deck in the top.

Soak it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment