Monday, September 8, 2014

A couple of things I like a lot




Your Funeral were from Denver, CO. They were three piece. The members were Jeri Rossi, Karen Sheridan and Cleo Tilde. They put out this really nice dark and somewhat gothic single in 1982 before disbanding. Jeri moved to Boston which is where I met her when we both worked at a sandwich shop in Kenmore Square for a while. I liked working with her.



 

After moving to Boston she formed a really good band called Black Cat Bone. It is always a relief when somebody you're friendly with is in a good band so that you're not having to constantly make excuses why you don't go to their shows. Black Cat Bone unfortunately never got around to releasing any music, but they did make a video for their version of "I Want to be You" which is a lovely little time capsule of the mid-80's as experienced. Perfect Sound Forever did a long interview with Ms. Rossi a few years back. Read it.

There's probably not much to say about this single or this band. It's the first single. I love the A side. It's everything you could have loved about this band. The B side initially comes off as a total throwaway, but it's got a lot more going for it after a couple listens. Both sides got added to the reissue of the first lp. Buy that.


I'm not going to even type the band's name. (We'll see how long this lasts before some bot finds it and has me take it down.) I pulled it out because half the band has gotten back together to play a few shows, one of which is at the MN State Fair coming up (as I type this anyway in late August). It's not personally worth sixty bucks to me to see them now. I saw them twice in the 80's. One a smoking all ages show at the Channel where they were relatively sober and a second time after the major label debut where front man was so drunk he couldn't finish a song. The band kicked him off the stage and pulled up the lead singer for the opening band, Barrence Whitfield, to sing whatever songs they could figure out the both knew. It was an entertaining shambles of an evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment