Saturday, September 13, 2014

Detroit

As I'm typing this, it's late August. This past week I went to Target Field and watched the Twins annihilate the Tigers 20-6. It was difficult to watch. So here's a couple singles by Detroit bands.


The Algebra Mothers (or A-Moms) were a rather short lived band that put out this one single in 1979.


They were led by a black guitarist/vocalist by the name of  Gerald Collins. Given the amount of hype that's recently centered around the band Death, I'm surprised that nobody's dig deeper to unearth this monster. It's certainly to my ears more "punk" than Death who sound more like Thin Lizzy to me than anything else. Whatever. This is awesome sauce. Lap it up. It's the only thing they released.

I'm not sure how I came across this other single by All Systems Go. It may have just had a decent eBay ad and a low enough price tag to intrigue me. 


They appear to have been a blip on the recorded map (and not the same Michigan band currently using the name). There is also apparently a crappy picture sleeve to go with this, but I didn't get it. The song worth listening to is naturally the one called "Get Wasted". It's a snazzy little pop punk/new wave number extolling the virtues of imbibing alcoholic beverages for fun sung in a high voice befitting a cartoon character. The other side is however some kind of MOR crap that makes you wonder if it's even the same band. It's pretty miserable and included for the sake of completeness and to soothe my anal retentive tendencies. You can listen to it once and delete.

No comments:

Post a Comment