Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Local Bands

I'm lived in the Minneapolis area for a long long while now. Here's some local obscurities for the discerning listener. They're a couple of bands whose entire existence I only know of because I've seen their records in cutout bins all over town over the course of many years before finally prying a dollar from my pocket and buying them.



I know absolutely nothing about this band. I don't remember ever seeing them. I don't even remember them being listed on a bill for a show I didn't see. There's not much to be found online. They played a Show in the 7th St. Entry (King Can/Mickey Finn/Apollo Kings) on September 24, 1995. That's about the extent of it as far as I can tell from three minutes on Google. It's certainly punk rock. Lots of distortion. Loud/quiet. And that really shitty upturned bucket snare sound that the 90's churned out. (and I will forever hate.) "Alpha Driver" is the winner here for me. Longer song with some of the Slint tendencies that everybody was starting to add in the wake of a realization that Spiderland existed.



Amanda by Night named themselves after a 1981 adult film featuring Ron Jeremy and Samantha Fox along with such memorable characters as "Threesome Girl" &  "Tan Threesome Girl" 

This early Susstones single is also a good candidate for worst graphics ever for a single. (though I'm pretty sure that it's difficult to get around the horrible that constitutes the entire Hypnolovewheel discography.) The thing is that the music within is not anything like you'd expect based on that shitty sleeve. It's kind of garage of varying amounts of competence and a cover of the One Way Streets "We All Love Peanut Butter" and a tender ballad in "Shireen Won't Die Today". The singer here is one of those garage singers who's not precisely one to be held back by bourgeois concepts like singing in key in order to convey what he needs to share. You'll laugh. You'll cry. You'll ignore this and see if you can watch the adult feature "Amanda by Night" instead. Everyone's a winner.

I had always assumed they were local up to this point since the label is local and there have always been copies hanging around, but Discogs says they were from Bridgeport Connecticut. I learned something new today.


No comments:

Post a Comment