Saturday, June 6, 2015

Adventures in Modern Dentistry

Given the horrible toothache I'm currently having as I load up the post queue here a month or two in advance by banging out a bunch of posts all at once so I can let things fester along without me while I tend to other pressing matters like more whiskey and typing out really long under punctuated run-on sentences and because I've already done up half a dozen Boyracer posts and already had this stuff on the back burner for after since my brain had moved on in the meantime and it seems kind of apropos and it's really good and what I've actually been listening to a lot in the last month anyway and just seems more or less kind of kismet I'm going to break up the current Boyracer deluge by tossing a good overview of the discography of the Dentists into the mix. It's late into Spring and as good a time as any for some jangly Pop.

Where it all began:



This is one of those fabulous debuts that are part of the reason I really like singles so much. The A-side s as damn near a perfect bit of jangly paisley infused pop as has ever been committed to vinyl. It's like sonic Pez. All sugary goodness you want to crunch between your teeth. Have to listen to it again. Want more. The flip is more of the same with the song "Doreen" existing nowhere else in the Dentists discography. Rinse repeat and  rinse again.


So here's the deal. Be Me. It's 1985. Be in Nuggets Used Records in Kenmore Square in Boston. See this lp. It's, I think $7.99 for an import. The young lads on the cover look like people I'd consider hanging out with. The title is unnecessarily long and there's a song on it with the word "psychedelic" in the title. Know absolutely nothing about them or have the slightest clue what it might sound like. Feeling adventurous with my limited disposable income. Just go ahead and buy the fucker. Get home. Put it on. Made the right choice.

I'm not really sure why nobody seemed to pick up on this when it came out. In hindsight it should have been big or at least be one of those "obscure" records that people reference in their influences that "people in the know" will get. But it wasn't. It isn't. And outside of various readers of the BOB magazine nobody really noticed it in the year that Wham! and Madonna battled it out at the top of the charts. Dark times indeed.

The good news for you is that you can have your very own brand new copies to do with as you please that will probably sound better than these slapdash mp3's I make for my own amusement. The good and tasteful folks at Trouble In Mind records have reissued both of these for the discerning to have and to hold and admire. I suggest that you ought to be one of them. It's always good to have a hard copy back up of such tremendous wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment