Friday, August 5, 2016

August is With Me I Know


Just another post.

As I type this, it's still March. I'm months out with posting. I could die in my sleep tonight and this blog would plod onward like the Mary Celeste without me.

Anyway, I got a crown today. My jaw is killing me and I'm groggy from a painkiller I took earlier when it was quite unbearable. I'm going to attempt to eat soon. I'm hungry.



Factual (1982)

Factual were a new wave synth band from Nashville, TN. There seems to have been a pretty lively scene there for a big chunk of the 80's that never got noticed by the outside world. I wasn't aware anyway. This is pretty much my first taste.

For my part I have to wonder if the graphic artistry for the sleeve and the band name is simply homage to the aesthetics of Factory Records, an attempt to fool the unwary, or some kind of in-joke. Maybe they just wanted a better record deal.

Speaking of in-jokes.



These days mashups are all the rage and more or less kind a genre unto themselves and infinitely more entertaining than face swaps which I'll never understand the appeal of. But back in the vague and hazy days of the mid-90's such things were relatively unknown or conceived of. I mean, who would have otherwise thought of taking vocal tracks from Public Enemy and matching them up with tracks by Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass? The genius's at Evolution Control Committee is who.

My first exposure was walking into a local record haunt the moment they were unboxing that day's shipment and the curious clerk putting it on to see what it was. Much laughter was had. It's still pretty damn funny. Your mileage will vary. But I'm amused.

No comments:

Post a Comment