Monday, August 1, 2016

Exes


You know the drill


the Exile (1977)


One of the first Scottish punk bands. You might expect that with songs like "Jubilee 77" and "Fascist DJ" that they'd be a lot more pissed off than they actually are. While I'm sure it sounded a lot different back in 1977, but these days it kind of sounds like an average pub band trying to sound angry. It does have that DIY spirit and was rehearsed, recorded & mixed in all of three hours, so I have to give them props for that.  Plus they certainly deserve some credit for being first and all that but the Damned they aint. (That soccer hooligan mustache isn't helping their cause much either.)

Even so the cheapest copy on Discogs is $54 which is more than 100 times than what I paid for it. So some folks must think more highly of it than I do.




This one I like a lot more. They were from Leeds and after a couple of singles they all went on to form the cores of a bunch early 80's goth favorites. The Mission, Red Lorry, Yellow Lorry, Sisters of Mercy... I'd hazard to guess they may have worn less black and eye makeup for this single.

No comments:

Post a Comment