Sunday, January 1, 2017

Not with a bang, but...

 
It's New Years Eve and time to bid farewell to the stinking pile that was 2016.

Fuck you 2016.

I'm glad that time is for all appearances linear so I can be relatively assured that I will never have to experience your seemingly bottomless abyss of suck again.






the Elements - Honest Enough (1985)

So with that in mind we come to the final nail in the posting coffin of 2017.

And it's a simple and straightforward indie pop Lp from Seattle, WA. A half a decade or so before the rest of the world realized it was a real place and that people lived there and had jobs and houses and band and shit like that. Just like real people do.

I picked this up because it was on Green Monkey Records who most famously release the output of the Green Pajamas who did that one song you know because Material Issue covered it for a minor minor hit. (If you're patient it will eventually appear here too. I love that song.)

I didn't know the Elements from a small stack of pancakes when I bought this.
Still don't.
I'd probably have a hard time telling them apart if presented with a police lineup. I'd have to guess based on which was one tasted better with butter and syrup. Even then, it could be dicey.

The album is titled "Honest Enough" and I find it to be an appropriate title. Pleasantly so.
It's as simple, fun and unpretentious as a record could be in 1985 and devoid of any of those terrible sound choices that were rampant then. It exists in a timeless bubble of sound where it could have comfortably been recorded anytime in the past 40 years.

You can take that as my recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment