Sunday, December 31, 2017

Here's to Another Lousy Fucking Year.


Or something like that.
It's been pretty trying overall.

Anyhoo. Goodbye to 2017. History will not be kind to it.

And with that in mind the final SSC nail in the coffin is Helen Wheels.






Destinations Unknown (1978)

“Helen Wheels has the toughest ass in show business, if not in all America.” — R. Crumb

So I've had the Go-Go compilation 7" for a long ass time. (I mostly wanted the JJ-180 tune, but you  know whatever). It posted back on November 13. I really didn't think too much about the Helen Wheels song. I mean, it's good and all, but not exactly the stuff of dreams.

Now with a quick google of her name and a bunch of stuff comes up. So apparently she was a bit of a legend on the outskirts of everything that happened in New York in the 70's. She (just like Patti Smith) wrote the lyrics to a number of Blue Öyster Cult tunes like "Tattoo Vampire" and "Sinful Love" from that one B.O.C. album that has that one song that Classic Rock always plays. You know, the one that isn't "Burnin' For You"... (and I quite like B.O.C. "Secret Treaties" is a great fucking record and don't let anybody tell you different. If they do, they're tasteless boors and you need to stop talking to them.)

She was apparently sort of a local legend if you were from the NYC area and are wont to believe such hype.



She was also a body builder. She could probably have kicked my ass. 

That said, I don't know what to make of her stuff. It doesn't quite connect to me. Maybe it's a bit too rock and not enough punk or new wave to make it super interesting to me. I can't totally dismiss it, but it's not the first thing I'm going to pull out of the stacks on any given day.

Sort of fitting for the end of 2017.

And there you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment