Monday, March 5, 2018

Here's South Dakota





I was originally intending to keep this on the back burner until I got to the 'N's because they have a single too, but both sides of that are on this long player so now's as good a time as any and because I might forget otherwise and wanted a reason to reacquaint myself with it tonight.

So No Direction, a band from Sioux Falls, South Dakota and from what I can find are the first band from Sioux Falls to put out an independent punk record there. It's also kind of surprising that they didn't end up just moving to the Twin Cities like everybody else. But here you have it.

It's not the hardest and fastest punk record you've ever heard, but it hits a bunch of those key points with a bit of agitprop in songs like "Reaganomics" or Tear Gas Justice" which I'm sure got them chased around by hicks in pickup trucks on more than one occasion.
It's a solid and earnest record and all the much more subversive for coming from a small Midwestern city like Sioux Falls where being different was more likely to get you beat up than someplace like San Francisco or NYC where the freaks live.

Enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment