Thursday, March 29, 2018

The Homer & Jethro Project #10


Another day. Stuffed peppers in the oven & work tonight.

Here's #10


December 1949 - 48-0144 - The Hillbilly Wedding of Lilli Marlene / The Hucklebuck


It looks like dates are all a bit fuzzy. But there's a Billboard that lists this as being released then, so we're going to go with it even it puts this shit slightly out of chronological order.

You should know the drill. A Side is another collaboration with June Carter with them doing a countrified take down of the the WWII hit beloved by Axis & Allies alike "Lili Marlene". It was the song you couldn't escape just like [insert title of current contemporary overplayed catchy nuisance song here] but more maudlin. The most famous version was by Marlene Dietrich, everybody's favorite 40's foreign butch vamp.

B Side is their take on a 1949 hit by Paul Williams and his Hucklebuckers, so for a change they're taking on much recent material. It's a toe tapping corker of a tune that will have you shaking a chicken in the middle of the room before you are even aware that you're doing that thing I just said.




January 1950 - 48-0170 - I've Got Tears in my Ears (From Lyin' On My Back In My Bed While I Cry Over You) /She Made Toothpicks of the Timbers of my Heart

This one was elusive and it took a long time and a lot of searching to track this particular 7 inches of green vinyl down and give it a forever home. It's happy now.

For a change both sides are originals as far as I can tell and really long titles. Entirely worth it. These songs were so good that they rerecorded them in the mid-60s. The gist of either side should easily be divined from the excessively lengthy titles alone.

I kind of prefer these versions myself, but you can make your own decision later.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you commented about your H&J project on the TZ. I haven't seen/heard a lot of this early stuff. You've obviously put a lot of time into running down and ripping/scanning this wonderful music that deserves preservation and dissemination. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a labor of love. The stuff is worth hearing and all but otherwise forgotten. I'm glad someone is enjoying it.

      Delete