Sunday, May 13, 2018

The Homer & Jethro Project #47


No compilations today.

I want to continue powering through the H&J P.

Be patient.






September 1963 - lsp-2743 - Ooh, That's Corny


Sometime in the midst of 1963, between MLK delivering his "I Have a Dream" speech at the Lincoln Memorial and JFK's assassination in Dallas, Homer and Jethro dropped this Lp.

It also coincided with them hooking up with Kellogs for a national ad campaign for Corn Flakes. Never ones to shy away from really corny humor, H & J fully embraced the steady paycheck from Kellogs and embarked on a second career as shameless sell out shills doing commercials.

One a based on "Rock Island Line", one telling worse jokes than usual and even another one that required some mountain climbing action sequences without stunt doubles all appeared and went out over the airwaves raising their public profile and hopefully their bank balances as well their nightly appearance fees.

And keeping with the corny theme they put out this record with more mostly originals. There's also a redo of both sides of their 1950 release of "I've Got Tears In My Ears / She Made Toothpicks Of The Timbers Of My Heart" (see H&JP #10) and one old timey cover from the 20s thrown in for good measure.




Ooh, That's Corny
Does Anybody Here Play The Piano?
Bread 'N Gravy
The Charms Of The City Ain't For Me
She Made Toothpicks Of The Timber Of My Heart
I Can't Tell My Heart
Don't Go In The Lion's Cage Tonight
When Banana Skins Are Falling
I've Got Tears In My Ears From Lying On My Back In Bed While I Cried Over You
I'll Never See Maggie Alone
I'm The Guy
Mama Get The Hammer (There's A Fly On Papa's Head)


No comments:

Post a Comment