Sunday, July 29, 2018

The Same Damn Song Twice. Maybe Even Three, Four Times



So a little while ago and it feels like months now.

Oh wait it was,

but it happened nonetheless.

I had a little period where the only music that made any sense to me at all was the recorded output of one of the greatest live bands to currently stalk the Earth, Southern Culture on the Skids.



 So I was listening to them quite a bit.




One of their perennial live highlights is their rendition of a song called "Daddy was a Preacher but Mama was a Go-Go Girl" Mary Huff just sings the living shit out of it.








Despite how easily it fits with the rest of their catalogue this song is actually a cover.






Joanna Neel (1971)




The songs was on the label as being coauthored by Joanna & her husband Bob and released as a B-side to a song called "Perfect Strangers" with a nice Nashville professional sound to it. But fortunately (!?) hers is not the only contemporary recording of the tune.




Betty Jo Bangs (1971)




A lady by the name of Betty Jo Bangs also released her own recording around the same time which she credits to herself. (The difference seems to be the inclusion of the word "but" in the title.
It's a little less polished, but no less charming and sincere a recording as you could want. Hers was backed by another Betty Jo credited song "Journey into Yesterday".

Based on the promo picture linked above she seems like a fine, upstanding lady with excellent posture. (I have been unable to locate a shot of Ms. Neel)

I also haven't readily been able to determine who the real songwriter is from ten minutes of casual googling nor do I really care. They both are. I like them.



But wait! That's not all!

But I did find that there was yet another recording by  one Miss DeLois & the Music Men that was released in 1972. I haven't been able to track down a copy of that one for myself, but I did locate a video of her doing the song on Youtube.

Good luck scrubbing that from your eyeballs..











No comments:

Post a Comment