Sunday, July 1, 2018

This Post is Aces


A pair of things I rediscovered and reconsidered to be worth the posting.

I do that on occasion. I don't post everything I've got. That would be just madness.

And yeah, I know if what I post is the "good stuff", how fucking terrible must the rest of my shitty record collection be.

Precisely this shitty.



the Acetones (1980)

From the riot torn streets of Milwaukee, WI and straight to your heart comes the rock and roll stylings of the Acetones. Our bowtied hero from the cover apparently has a thing for handcuffs and ladies in polyester uniforms.
B-side gets a bit funkier and is probably the sort of stuff that maybe got them an extra gig or two. You could dance to it, but I might break a hip at this point so I'll refrain




Ace & the Eights (1979)

This is an interesting oddity singularly for the presence of one Rockette Morton on bass and with a smoking slide solo on "Explosion". For the uninitiated this is one of the original and one of the longer lasting musicians who played with Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band. Here they are on German Tv in 1972. Rockette (aka Mark Boston) is looking particularly stylish in his suit and pimp hat playing bass on the first song.

This single sounds absolutely nothing like Beefheart. That's a good or maybe a bad thing depending on your perspective. For me it falls kind of in a nebulous middle gray area. I don't hate on the single, but I had hoped for more Beefheart than it provides with Mr. Boston's esteemed presence.

You make your own decisions. You're presumably an adult.


No comments:

Post a Comment