Monday, October 25, 2021

At Odds with the Room

 So I've had a coffee. I'm full of meatloaf.
And most importantly I've decided that tomorrow is going to be the day when I get off my ass and start the long and tedious process of scanning, converting and tagging the 12G of .wavs I've got sitting around in the Vinyl folder.
It's going to be a solid eight or nine hour grind.
Not my favorite activity, but a necessary one.

But in the meantime, I'm throwing a few more into the fire as it were with some more 40s Big Band stuff picked up recently for dirt fucking cheap. The price was good, but the dude who owned them must have been a heavy smoker with greasy fingers judging by the shape of the vinyl. But I can't really complain too much, I suppose, for a couple of bucks or less apiece. Not a great market for 40s radio transcriptions these days, so this is the only way I'll get to experience some of this.

It's just a bit at odds with these few posts, it being decidedly happy upbeat numbers.

Life's like that sometimes.


Submerged and Colourful (1994)


So Roy Montgomery. Veteran of quite a few of the more talked about than heard of New Zealand bands. Dadamah got a good airing out here a while back. The Pin Group records are wonderful if you can find the reissues or have deeper pockets than I do to hunt down original issues.

When not crafting atmospheric ambient soundscapes on a 4-track cassette recorder the ever busy Roy would also craft moody dark songs sung with a sonorous baritone.




Something Else Again (1995)


And he was certainly a busy and sought after artist in the early/middle 90s churning out two full lengths and a handful of singles in a very short time on a variety of labels in a very short amount of time.



Zabriskie Point (parts 1 & 2) (1996)

Here's a few of them now.
Let them sink in and wash slowly over your mind like absinthe over a sugarcube.


Now if you'll excuse me, the processing software has cleaned up the first side of Brick Fleagle and Rex Stewart "Previously Unissued" and I have to chop it up into individual songs before flipping it. Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment