Monday, August 6, 2018

Multi-tasking.


I'm not sure if that's one word or traditionally uses a dash.
I really don't care. I'm really only paying half attention to this while I type. I'm also listening to and digitizing other records at the same time. It's a lot of things to try and focus on at once. So you'll cut me some slack on the word "multi-tasking" if it's incorrect.




 Radio Dial (Don't Touch That) (1982)

There's really nothing I can come up with approximately five solid minutes of googling about the particulars of this Chicago band that called itself Broken English except that this their second single  before being swallowed by the aether of time. Both sides are pretty solid late era Power Pop that really don't deserve the dustbin of history where they are currently residing.




Punksation (1981)

Here's another power pop styled oddity rescued from the ash heap of eternity.

Coogie and the Zebra were from the Pittsburgh area of Pennsylvania and put out this sole single on a local label that otherwise only seems to have a handful of old time folk and country records to its credit. Strike one against them.

Strike two is naming themselves "Coogie and the Zebra" which sounds more like the name of a morning zoo crew radio team than a band that anybody with any self respect might want to associate with.

Then there's the song called "Punksation" which owes more than a bit of its guitar riff to Bowie's "Fame". The song itself feels like a very suburban concept of punk rock in a glam power pop wrapper. Even now, I'm unsure of how I feel about it.

The B-side feels like they've been studying the first couple of Cars lps in the meantime. It works better for me.

Let my ambivalence be your enlightenment.

No comments:

Post a Comment