Monday, August 13, 2018

Very Pleasant Surprises








Under normal circumstances buying these unknown compilations from local scenes is almost always a gamble. Usually the bands are obscure and short lived for a reason with an occasional nugget of awesome or at least listenable thrown in.

So I wasn't expecting much from this live compilation of Ann Arbor, Michigan groups from 1984 but found myself wonderfully surprised how good it is all the way through. Plus it bucks the contemporary trend of having a lame Jam rip-off band, a shitty ska band and/or out of place random reggae band.
Instead we are treated to Power Pop, something more Rockabilly, a fine cover of Link Wray's "Jack the Ripper", some punk rock, a dash  of the New Wave and some actual fucking Jazz.

Highlights for me are the Map of the World & Evaders tracks, but you may disagree. Maybe you will hate the whole thing. I can't help that, but I'm listening to it again as I type this and I'm still satisfied with my vinyl Lp purchase.

Google preview has some contemporary words to say about the making of this record.

 01 - the Watusies - (Because I'm a) Jaguar
02 - the Slang - Not Even With You
03 - Map of the World - Stop Thinking Now
04 - Jack Nardella's Rock & Roll Trio - Jack the Ripper
05 - Azreal - Broken Dreams
06 - the State - Desire
07 - the Lunar Glee Club - Olduvai Gorge
08 - the Evaders - Just a Thought
09 - Aluminum Beach - Sliding Off my Pillow
10 - the Buzztones - Little Boy Blue
11 - Ron Brooks Trio Plus One - On Green Dolphin Street
12 - Kathy Moore-Stephanie Ozer Quartet - A-Flat Song























































No comments:

Post a Comment