Wednesday, November 21, 2018

It's Only a Matter of Time


I'm going to make a snack or breakfast or whatever after I bang this post out. Probably brush my teeth while I'm at it. Dental Hygiene is important too. The only thing on the agenda for the rest of the day is maybe a trip to the Asian grocery for a few non-essential things that are nice to have around the house but it's not a deal breaker for the day. Otherwise I'm going to just sit here and try and get a bit caught up with posts. If I work at this hard enough I will eventually be a year out in the queue and can ignore it for a good long while.
It's good to have goals.






Fine Art (1978)

If you've been playing along at home for the past few years or have spent considerable time trolling through past posts you may remember the 12x8 compilation from a couple of years back. It's a record of various local Minneapolis/St. Paul bands that aren't Husker Du or the Replacements from the year of 1981. Lots of good stuff on there including the subject of this particular post, Fine Art.

This is their self titled self released Lp from 1978. It's one of those records that is just sitting there waiting for Numero Group to discover for some kind of deluxe reissue that will make the hipsters squeal and drive the price of this record into ridiculous realms. It's certainly deserving of rediscovery. It's a record that I probably would never have come across if it wasn't local to me. I mean, I scored a sealed copy from Electric Fetus for like twelve bucks. I call that a win.

The sound is a particularly interesting crossroads between underground threads and the passing of the torch between the tail end of the garage psychedelia underground ("Freezing Down") and the impending punk rock/new wave tsunami ("My Brain Hurts").  See Virginia, you can have it both ways. Synthesizers and fuzz guitar solos. Everybody's a winner.

As it is the Fine Art lp just sits biding its time. Waiting.
Take a second and sit with it.
Get in on the ground floor so you can yawn when it gets namechecked





No comments:

Post a Comment