Saturday, November 17, 2018

When the Overhead Clicks On


I suppose I've been doing a lot of Lps as of late or something. That's what it feels like anyway.
Whatever. It's my party and I'll blog if I want to.
As it is my eyes are particularly itchy this morning.







1980 - Code Blue

In the hospital it's actually kind of amazing how quickly your body reacts in that fraction of a second when the overhead clicks on and before somebody speaks. There's a faint sound that barely registers but your heart sinks and you unconsciously hold your breath before the voice comes over to announce something to see if it's a problem that you have to respond to. Code Blue is an arrest and means that CPR is probably in your future. That's a pretty shitty situation for everyone involved. I mean, the Red Cross or whoever never really make it clear just how physically taxing it is to do good CPR while the statistics of  people who make it through after an arrest even with good CPR is a lot lower than the TV would have you believe. It can be pretty brutal.

This record by Code Blue is a relatively recent discovery for me. I was minding my own business when stumbled across that Rhino Handmade had done a deluxe version of it. So out of curiosity I looked it up. I liked it. I also knew that  copies had been sitting in the bins at a local record store for as long as I could remember. I went out and bought my own copy. It's this one.

The band was formed by Dean Chamberlain after he left the Motels just prior to their first record. I like this better than the Motels entire catalog, so it's kind of a win from my standpoint. But in the wider world it's another major label Power Pop blip on the radar for a band that came and went in the matter of a couple of short years before being swallowed by the sands of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment