Friday, November 2, 2018

The Roman in the title is Polanski


I remember that from a contemporary radio interview when the album came out.
It stuck with me for some reason.


In a Roman Moon (1981)

The sophomore and final Lp for this particular aggregation of people. Soon after this came out they'd lose the backing vocalists and strip down to a solid quartet that after at least four names finally stuck with the Zulus who put out a few criminally underappreciated bits before dissolving.

But that was in the future. Right now we're dealing with this lost masterpiece. If the previous one was a camp classic, this is where they hit stride. Songs are stronger, some are even stranger and it's heady and delicious. "Andy Fell" and "Land of the Glass Pinecones" are absolute stunners.

(And I lost my train of thought here when my wife woke up and wandered in the room to kvetch...)

Anyway. When I did the digitizing on this one I was thinking that it'd be a nice trip down nostalgia lane, but found myself surprised at how well this Lp has aged.

I don't know. Whatever accolades I'd lined up in my head have been lost.

I love this record.
Let that suffce.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if it's just me but I'm having trouble downloading this. Media file just says "Generating new download key" on a loop.
    Anyway, keep up the good work, there's always someting interesting to discover here.

    ReplyDelete