Saturday, January 5, 2019

In the Dark


The Winter Solstice was on December 21, so in theory it's starting to get light again in the world, but I work nights so all I see is darkness. I live in a half light and under lamps and overheads and florescents. It's just how it is.




 You Are in No Danger (1981)


This post involves the Boston area band popularly known as the Dark.

There is at least one thing we need to get out of the way right off the top.


 

This song by the Maps. The Maps were led by one Judy Grunwald who would eventually go onto Salem 66. This is important because this is the Judy of the song that kicks off this seven inch ep and this is the song that gets referenced in the intro.

Context is important.

Well mostly. Even before I was aware of any of that stuff I was still mildly obsessed with the song as a teenager for quite a while. It's a corker. I mean, the lines "I'm really glad you dumped your boyfriend/He looks like an East German Border guard" are just fucking brill.

The other two songs don't quite rise up to the level of "Judy" but they don't need to.
They just need to fill out the other side.
Which they do that quite adequately.



Darkworld (1982)

So it continued.

The Dark expand on their New Wave Dance groove for a six song, not quite Lp. It's all very early 80's in sound and feel and depending on how you feel about that your mileage will vary as to your enjoyment. I'm a bit on the fence myself. There's a lot to enjoy and a lot that is very dated and doesn't translate as well into the 21st Century as other contemporary things. But "We Can Be Children" is a nice tune and there's a follow up to the previous single with "Judy II" which leaves one wondering if Ms. Grunwald ever sought a restraining order.

No comments:

Post a Comment