Sunday, May 26, 2019

Never Know What Expect Sometimes


More from the batch of extra cheap batch of indiepop seven inches I picked up last year.
I bought them blind. Having no idea what or who they were, but they were ridiculously cheap and based on the rest of what the seller had on offer seemed to be of a piece. So I plunked down my hard earned and waited to discover what I had gotten myself into...





Ego (1998)

Ego were apparently French.

Ego is a pretty terrible name for such a sweet twee little indiepop band. It sounds more like the name of a loud boring alt-rock outfit that might play one of the outlying stages of a large outdoor festival to thirty people while a further thousand mill about paying too much for bottles of water.

Not to mention that there are a full 52 different artists who currently or previously went by the moniker "Ego"

Not really a good way to stand out from the crowd.

I chose it because it was on MatinĂ©e Recording. I have some other stuff on the label, so I  kind of had an idea of what I was in for already, but without that I don't think I'd have paused on this release flipping through a bin at a record store. But such is the power of offering me records for ninety nine cents...





 Cecil Seaskull (1997)


Cecil Seaskull.

Now there's a name. Going to forever be the only one of those on Discogs. It's catchy and the sort of name that makes me wonder what that sounds like.

She/they win.


The insert uploaded above gives the particulars of this release. I don't feel like rehashing anything that's already right in front of your lazy eyes already, so go head and click on that and squint a bit.
I'm hungry and we're supposed to go out for some hamburgers tonight.

Cecil Seaskull/Nerdy Girl also released a full length the following year which I don't have.
Yet, anyway.


1 comment:

  1. Cecil Seaskull! A gem of a band name, right up there with Baja Koala.

    ReplyDelete