Sunday, November 10, 2019

Boston 1979


I have a nice warm cat purring contentedly in my lap.
Feels good, man...





Shane Champagne Band. The A-side is a nice power pop number of the sort that the world was knee deep in at the time. Really ought to have been comped multiple times over, but there you go.

B-side "Love my Baby Like a Car" is a step or two closer to what might be termed "punk" but in the way that Television and Blondie get lumped into the popular thought process as "punk" as opposed to Black Flag. Still very pop, but different.

I like both sides. You make it famous and valuable.





At the same time that Gary Shane and David Champagne were tearing it up with the above Ms. Tennie Komar put out this single. I have a love/hate thing with it. 

First off, it's terrible.
Secondly though, it's terrible in a very hilarious way. (Well, at least the B-side is) Both being songs penned by one Jon Goldman.

It gets labelled on Discogs as"New Wave/Punk" which I personally find as a bit of stretch based more than likely on the sleeve than the music. Certainly tight tiger print pants and heels might seem pretty Nu Wave, but the music is pretty suburban rock. Don't be fooled.

However:

 "Roll Me Over" which may or may not be a paen to anal sex (though more likely given the context a more vanilla doggy style tribute) It's well worth sampling some of the fine verse Mr. Goldman chose to apply his talents to for Ms. Komar to implore your ears with:

You remember several years ago
I played Juliet to your Romeo
You tried to make me underneath the stars
I stopped you 'fore you went too far

Well now

I'm back in town to show you something new
Been in the city for a year or two
I'd like to make up for the time we lost
C'mon Sugar, be the Boss

Roll Me Over x2
Roll me over, lay me down and do it again...



You'll have to excuse me. 

It's just kind of dusty in here...










No comments:

Post a Comment