Tuesday, November 26, 2019

When Things Go Wrong


I got a nice bundle of NOS compact discs from Sunday Records this afternoon that I'm ripping while I type this. It's going to be a good night.







I won't pretend I understand the ins and outs of the music business. If I probably wouldn't be doing this stuff. I'd be off on my private island banging supermodels before wandering into my state of the art home studio and shitting out another mega-hit. Or at the very least I wouldn't have to work a regular job.

But I don't and I do.

So here we have the debut record on major label by Robin Lane & the Chartbusters. It's a really fucking great pop record. It has "When Things Go Wrong" on it and that song is one of those that I usually have to play a few extra times whenever it comes on. 

It should have been a huge fucking hit.

I dare to you to google up the top 100 hits of 1980 and tell me that Rupert Holmes and Christoper Cross made better records than this. I mean, Olivia Newton John had the #3 song. I call bullshit.

Plus half of the Chartbusters were in the mid-70s incarnation of Jonathan Richman & the Modern Lovers. That's a pedigree.

So needless to say, but said anyway, I really really like this record. I couldn't explain to you why, but I do. It actually saddens me a bit that you can find copies for a dollar. (Though for some reason, people are asking crazy money for a 2002 reissue on compact disc). It's consistently good all the way through.

I really really like it.

I think you should too.

1 comment:

  1. There's a new 3CD reissue and a 2014 documentary about her music career (also entitled When Things Go Wrong), so you're not alone in thinking that Robin and the lads deserved better.

    http://blixa.com/robin-lane-the-chartbusters/

    ReplyDelete