Monday, November 18, 2019

Some Things Exist as Themselves


I really need to eat something, but I'm digging listening to these two first.


 The French Are From Hell (1984)

Very little is to be found on the interwebs about this band. I had a link at one time that can't be bothered to find right now. In the end it doesn't really matter.

What does matter is how fucking good this seven inch is.

I mean, every once in a while I buy something blind. Simply based on random factors like date or one familiar name on an otherwise obscure sleeve. This was recorded by Don Zientara who recorded basically everything in and around Washington DC worth listening to.

The music nerds might say this is some sort of post-punk nonsense with saxophone or something silly like that.

 I just say this one is Gold.

All four songs. Gold.

"Pinned Under a Jet" is arguably the hit, but damn, I wish there was an lp hiding somewhere or a few stray compilation tracks, but sadly no...

I just want some more.



Climb (1983)

Chorus pedal abusing New Wave trio from Boston with at least one member being an Irish expat which explains why some further releases by the band were on an Irish label.

It's still the good stuff.

At least for me, I guess. It has a certain nostalgic appeal that brings back a time and a place and sense memories of the parking lot of the Channel right on Boston harbor where I'm pretty sure I probably saw them at least once for some all ages show. I should have kept a show diary...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks!

    French are from Hell must be related to Tru Fax & the Insaniacs, since 'Pinned Under a Jet' also appears on their sole LP...
    https://www.discogs.com/Tru-Fax-And-The-Insaniacs-Mental-Decay/release/3908173

    Nice find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh, I have to see if I can dig that one up now.
      You've made my night.

      Delete