Sunday, February 7, 2021

Three's a Crowd Pleaser


Well, at least that's what I want to tell myself.

It doesn't really matter since I inadvertently end up being somewhat of a contrarian in the long run and I make a last minute decision that goes against the last thing I had said.

SO, yes, I still have a lot of 90s/early 00s indiepop to come.

This is not quite it.

But then again, it doesn't really fall too far outside of the realm, just a bit more on the weirder side of it. A tad more experimental or something.
I don't know.
It's still rock and roll to me.

And here's a trio of releases by Famous Boyfriend.




I Can't See My Way Out of This (1996)

So what do you need to know about this....

Famous Boyfriend is the brainchild of  Andrew Johnson and Craig Tattersall who were together in a band that somebody out there in the world may as yet still remember called Hood.
Local favorite Stewart Anderson of Boyracer fame also played with Hood at one point so it's not far fetched that Famous Boyfriend should have a couple of releases on his 555 Recordings label.

This particular one however is on the French Orgasm label just to be thoroughly confusing.





No One Will Give You Anything (1997)

A bit of weird experimentation and some melancholic pop songs buried in between the static.

That's kind of the order of the day.

This one is on 555 and it makes perfect sense that it is.







At Least We're Trying (1998)

It's so odd to me when I type dates like 1998 to realize that this was over a twenty years ago by now when it still feels like a recent time to me mentally.
But time accelerates with age as every year becomes a smaller fraction of the time you've lived. (eg. at 10 a year is 1/10th of your life, 1/20th at 20, 1/40th at 40 etc...)

Which is deep as fuck if you want to think about it.
I don't really. I want another cup of coffee and perhaps some of the leftover okonomyaki I made last night.

That's how I'm rolling these days.

3 comments:

  1. Just wanted to let you know that there seems to be a problem with the link for "No One Will Give You Anything". Looking forward to hearing the other two... another band I've never heard of before! Your blog is full of treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a deadset legend with superb taste. I am ecstatic to see you are still alive and kicking despite all the unprecedentedness.

    ReplyDelete