Sunday, September 19, 2021

I'll Find It Someday

 

I've spent a few hours tonight poring over the new arrivals and playing some of them while doing it.

I've got Arson Garden on in the background while I type this. (I think it's likely to be something to add to this pile at some point.)

Anyway.

Let us continue from where we left off.



The Oranj Album (1998)


The second and unfortunately only other album by the Oranj Symphonette.

Here they do a version of  "Dreamsville" which I discussed in the previous post but they've also expanded their repertoire to cover tunes by Duke Ellington, Marvin Hamlisch and Burt Bacharach among others.

All with the same manic glee. All tongue in cheek and arranged in entirely unexpected ways. Things shine differently when they're reinvented and  rearranged. It's the wonder of taking music that exists and making it your own. And so long as everyone's having fun it's all game.

Which doesn't mean that everyone gets it.

Christopher Howard in the Jan. 21, 1999 issue of the Orlando Weekly certainly didn't.

"The jazz parodists of Oranj Symphonette have their work cut out for them. This eclectic troupe performs oddball renditions of Henry Mancini film scores, tongue-in-cheek versions of revered jazz standards, and even a deadpan take on the absurd pop hit “Up, Up, and Away.” The opening track of The Oranj Album, a cover of Quincy Jones’s “Call Me Mr. Tibbs,” combines the cheesy Farfisa organ of a B-movie surf band with disco funk. The second tune resembles the background music at the Olive Garden, and Duke Ellington’s “Satin Doll” is blasphemed with banjo, Mellotron, and fuzz bass. The Oranj Album puts the concept of elevator music to very good use. But do we really need to hear “A Man and a Woman” twisted into a cruise-ship classic or a forty-second breeze through the theme from Woody Allen’s Bananas? As entertaining as this CD is, I hope these versatile, talented players rise above novelty status."



He certainly sounds like he didn't get invited to a lot of parties.

Anyway. This is actually the second copy of this I've bought.

At some point I had been playing the first copy and when I switched to another compact disc. The actual case for it wasn't handy for whatever reason. I was in the middle of doing something else that I didn't want to interrupt by getting up to look for it. But I also didn't want to just leave a loose disc lying around unprotected. So I stuck it in the case with another disc that I'd been listening to and had every intention of putting it away properly when I was done with whatever it was that I was doing.

I didn't.

And then I forgot that I'd done that and subsequently the cd it was put in with got filed.

Now I can't remember which one it was. 

So there's an extra copy somewhere among the 2.5k compact discs I currently have.

I'll find it accidentally some fine day before I die.
(Maybe.)

No comments:

Post a Comment