Monday, September 27, 2021

I've Been Obsessing Again

 

For tonight I'm doing up more records while I type.

I've been obsessing over Duke Ellington radio transcription bootlegs of programs from the 40s.
Some fucking brilliant stuff. Lots of hits of the day that didn't get recorded otherwise as well as great performances in front of a live audience.

So in the past month or so I've picked up about another dozen.
It's like the Duke was recorded almost as much as the fucking Dead. (But I can listen to him without wanting to punch a hippie in the throat so I enjoy it much more.)

I even went so far as to pick up an extra shift with an extremely desperate bonus for picking up just so I could justify spending a shit ton of money getting a hard copy of the 24 disc Ellington Centennial Collection of his complete recordings for RCA Victor.

You can never have enough Duke Ellington. Never.

So that's where my head's at lately and at some point may end up here.

But in the meantime have some Punk/New Wave nonsense...



Chronic Alkie (1981)

Wilma & the Wilbers. From Minneapolis, MN (or maybe St. Paul, I don't know)

A blink and you missed it band that really should have been comped more.

"Chronic Alkie" is a fine tune but the other two are also worthy.



Tiger Beat (1982)

Yeah, this one's even better.

The hit for me is "I Like It Thick" about a girl's love for milkshakes. 

She likes them thick when she's hot and wet on a summer's night.

Absolutely about milkshakes.Nothing else implied. No sir. She just loves those cold dairy products. Yep yep yep. Milkshakes.

This too needs to have been comped more.








No comments:

Post a Comment