Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Comped to Death

Sometimes there are just some songs that are available in a bunch of different places that are just too good not to throw up here for the fuck of it. I don't know, maybe there are still some folks who haven't been overexposed to the bottomless pit of Nuggets and Pebbles collections and are unaware of some of these things. Or perhaps you're just some kind of weirdo who really like to have crackles and pops in their mp3s so they can pretend they're having an analog experience. I don't care I really really fucking love this stuff.


the Rationals were from Ann Arbor, MI. The A side is a decent enough cover of Otis Redding's "Respect" that apparently was a minor hit in a few markets around the country, but not enough to really take them to the next level. It's Ok. But nothing special. But like lots and lots of garage 45's the gold is on the flip.
I have to say I'm not really much of a Beatle fan. (They're kind of meh to me in comparison to so many of their contemporaries and frankly I've just heard their shit so much in my life that it bores the fuck out of me and I'd really rather listen to something else I haven't heard a million times already.) All that being said, "Feeling Lost" is probably the best Beatles song that they didn't write. (See also: "Lies" by the Knickerbockers which I've had to patiently explain to more than one person was not the "Fab Four") The Rationals took the harmonic blueprints and ran with them and produced pure gold. This is one I can listen to multiple times at a stretch.





This super fast fuzz monster eeked out a little bit late in the cycle of garage punk monsters, but is no less fucking awesome. In 1967 it probably already sounded a bit dated by a year or so, but who cares from the perspective of the 21st century. The Todds were obviously from Chicago, IL. (The Toddlin' Town label is a pretty good clue there.) Once again the other side is a bit of let down. A pleasant enough ballad "Things Will Change" but everything you need is in "I Want Her Back". Strap on your Go-Go Boots and go to town.

No comments:

Post a Comment