Thursday, August 13, 2015

Hog Butcher for the World

I have a really good and dear friend in Chicago. We drove down there this past winter to hang out with them and see the "David Bowie Is..." exhibit. That was really cool. It had David Bowie's 70's coke spoon.
But all I could really imagine was how weird it must have been for David Bowie to wander around the exhibit and watch shit that he may have had hanging in the back of his hall close for  decades get the full on museum white glove treatment like priceless artifacts rather than the odd crocheted 70's pantsuit still smelling like 100 shows worth of ball sweat that they are to him 40 years later.
It was a bit unsettling.

But one thing I knew I was going to do while I was there was score a copy of the 12" by DA.

I did.



They were female fronted. A bit Art School with a touch of Goth and a heaping spoonful of Siouxsie & the Banshees. But not boring like actual Siouxsie and the Banshees. Rather enjoyable actually. Lyrics out of English Comp. class seriousness, but I still like it. I shouldn't but I do. You should too you cynical fart..


DA made these two slabs of vinyl for Autumn Records otherwise known for bringing the Effigies to the  light of day and existed in or around the contemporary Chicago scene. Sadly Lorna Donley passed away in 2013. But this music still remains. So there is that. Just fucking download it and love it already.

No comments:

Post a Comment