Wednesday, June 20, 2018

The Homer & Jethro Project #66


Well, kids. We made it. We're just mopping up here and I'm throwing caution to the wind and combining the final pair of long players into one post as a special treat and a final nail in this journey.






January 1972 - lsp-4659 - NSB - The Bandit



These last two are without Homer Haynes, but they complete the recordings of the Nashville String Band and you know, in for a penny, in for a pound and my general fetish for discographical completion.


  1. "The Bandit"
  2. "Estrellita"
  3. "Cielito Lindo"
  4. "Gay Ranchero" (J. J. Espinosa, Francia Luban)
  5. "Marcheta"
  6. "The Great El Tigre (The Tiger)"
  7. "Spanish Eyes"
  8. "You Belong to My Heart"
  9. "Cumbanchero"
  10. "Bandera"
  11. "Vaya Con Dios"





 August 1972 - lsp-4771 -  The World's Greatest Melodies 



The only thing I have to say about this is that I'm willing to contest just about every song on this one as a "World's Greatest Melody"

"Battle Hymn of the Republic"?, "Dixie"?  The "Beer Barrel fucking Polka"?

Surely they were high when they came up with that title...

1. Battle Hymn of the Republic
2. Steel Guitar Rag
3. Fascination
4. Third Man Theme
5. Medley: I'm Thinking Tonight of my Blue Eyes/Wabash Cannonball/Hawaiian Wedding Song
6. Lara's Theme
7. La Paloma
8. St Louis Blues
9. Beer Barrel Polka
10. Dixie


6 comments:

  1. The Beer Barrel Polka IS a great tune! Thank you for all the H & J. I have a lot of their stuff and had no idea there was this much more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, and thanks so much. A job well done! Great material, great background info. How ever will you follow this?!?
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a little bit more stuff they did backing Chester Atkins that I need to score originals of. That's a future thing.

    And otherwise things here will continue with the usual bevy of nonsense that I was doing previously.

    I have no current plans for extensive discographies for a good long while. Enjoy and feel free to sample the fruits of my labor in the future. You may be surprised at what you like.

    Thanks for listening

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've done a great job collecting H&J's legacy, especially gathering their early material which is often elusive. Well done !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Late-comer to your Homer and Jethro series. It's like a Bear Family box set in blog post format. One of the coolest projects I've stumbled across. So much hidden Chet Atkins! Great job, and just.. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you enjoyed it. I know through a friend who's done work for Bear Family that they aren't going to do it, so here we are. It's too good to be lost.

    ReplyDelete