Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Not Exactly What Masters & Johnson had in Mind


I'm posting a lot of Lps lately it seems. A lot of good ones just came up as I wander haphazardly down the alphabet. So it goes and does and is.

This is one that kind of stuck in my teenage brain for many many listens when I picked it up not long after its release.


Fig. 14 (1980)

So what happens when you take a spunky little (for the lack of a better term) New Wave band and front it with a quintet of singers ala the Supremes. You get Human Sexual Response and this actually rather campy classic Lp. I played it a lot.

Between a song about wanting to be Jackie Onassis and the very important question embodied by "What Does Sex Mean to Me?" there was a lot to absorb and ponder as a teenager in those questioning years of adolescence.

Then there was their appearance on the Saturday afternoon (!) public access show "Boston Live" which may or may not have gotten them in trouble for this number called "Butt Fuck" or their version of the Capitols "Cool Jerk" in drag as nurses.

Those were surely different times. But I still have a special place in my heart for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment