Saturday, December 21, 2019

Onward


Here we go again







Here's the other release by Someone & the Somebodies.

It's 12" elongated player. 
It's from Boston and is the avant-Nu Wave people warned you about.

Unfortunately for them while they do a fine job with a reworked version of Lee Dorsey's song "Working in a Coal Mine", they'd get overshadowed by Devo presenting their own version as a single ahead of  their  "New Traditionalists" lp which is unfortunate even more so because they actually do a better cover.

I also spent a considerable amount of time trying to figure out where exactly was the singular time I saw Someone & the Somebodies was. 
The best I can figure is as either part of an epic week in August of 1982 where my friends and I saw the Clash twice, Elvis Costello & the Attractions at the Cape Cod Coliseum and ended with the Talking Heads at the Orpheum. 
We actually found the Talking Heads to have been the least show of the week and I remember that the opening band was kind of boring. That was where I'm thinking it may have been there.
I mean, I know it was at the Orpheum anyway. But I also got to thinking that in 1984 we also went to the Orpheum to see Siouxsie & the Banshees which was also kind of dull and I got momentarily confused. Online databases were a bit of a bust, so here we are.


I can't say as I actively dislike S&tS.
But I'm more or less kind of indifferent to them.
I mean, I have the records as part of my effort to complete a Modern Methods records discography, but they're not going to be the first ones out of the stacks when I'm playing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment